” I want to experience Canada and search for a job to support myself there.”
” I need to accompany my spouse while they study/work in Canada and get a job myself.”
” I need to stay in Canada because the company needs me as their representative in XYZ business project.”
These are some of the many reasons that people have to visit and work in Canada temporarily. As visa consultants in Pune, we solve a lot of dilemmas that people have regarding how they can apply for visas and work permits in Canada.
The Canadian government has quite an easy process for work permit application. The odds of converting a visitor visa to a work permit are less, although it is feasible if you have a strong application.
The first step is to get a visitor visa. It is also called a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). The cost and other essentials for this visa are discussed below.
Visitor Visa or TRV requirements
- You need to prove that you will be staying in Canada for the stipulated time and not a day more.
- You have to provide bank statements that will prove you have adequate money.
- You have to go through a medical exam to ensure fitness.
- You need a police verification certificate to prove civic decency.
- You need to find out other important documents from the Canadian visa website depending on your situation.
(Visa consultants in Pune help you in identifying the exact documents you need to avoid errors.)
Visitor Visa or TRV cost
- The application fee for a visitor visa is CAD 100 (~Rs. 6000).
- Biometric fees are CAD 85 (~Rs. 5000).
- If you want to extend your visitor visa, it costs CAD 100 (~Rs. 6000).
- If you want to regain your tourist status, it costs CAD 200 (~Rs. 12,000).
How much time does it take for Visitor Visa to be processed?
The official processing time of an application is 16-20 days. But due to a large number of applications, it takes 135 days. You have to be patient and submit all the correct documents so that your application gets processed on the first attempt.
(As licensed visa consultants in Pune, we assure you of maximum accuracy in filling out details and submitting your documents.)
How to apply for a visitor visa or TRV?
- Keep all your documents ready before the application process.
- Apply online through the Canadian Visa Website.
- Create an account on this website with your Email ID.
- Fill in the details that are asked.
- Upload your documents.
- Pay the fees.
- Give your biometrics (fingerprints and photos).
- Wait for the authorities to approve your application.
- You will get a receipt and a unique tracking number.
- This number helps you in tracking your application online.
- Upon approval, follow the instructions they send you.
- Send your passport.
(We are visa consultants in Pune who take care of the entire application process for you.)
The second step is to convert your visitor visa to a work permit. This procedure is cumbersome because you need third-party documents to fulfill your application.
Now, there are two routes that you can take to get a work permit from your visitor visa. The first one is through LMIA and the second one is through spousal sponsorship.
Work Permit from LMIA
In this route, you first have to search and apply for a job. Your job search can be a difficult task because your employer needs to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application.
This assessment ensures the employment of Canadian citizens. Therefore, your employer needs to prove that you are more suitable for the role than your Canadian counterparts. Getting an LMIA is not easy, so we recommend you have some job experience.
How to search for a job?
- Find a niche you want to work in.
- Job profiles that need specific expertise are more likely to get you an LMIA.
- Prove your exceptional skills to the employer and authorities.
- Get recommendations from highly qualified people in the industry.
- Match your NOC code with the demanding jobs in your area.
- Prove that you will work only for the stipulated time.
Work Permit from the spousal route
In this way, you need to prove that your spouse works or studies in Canada and you are accompanying them. A work permit for yourself can be obtained from the following criteria:
- Your spouse is studying in a DLI (Designated Learning Institute) on a study permit.
- Your spouse is working in an occupation that comes under NOC 0, A, and B on a work permit.
- Your spouse has applied for Permanent Residence in Canada and the application is ‘approval in principal’.
- Your spouse is a Canadian resident and you are waiting for your PR approval.
(As visa consultants in Pune, we help you in applying for a work permit from both these routes.)
How to convert Visitor Visa to Work Permit in Canada?
After all the above visitor visa process is done and you have arrived in Canada, you can convert your visitor visa to a work permit. This is done through a procedure called ‘Flagpoling’.
Note: Online application for employer-specific work permits is open only till February 28, 2023.
What is Flagpoling?
In this process, visitor visa holders have to go across the US border and apply for a work permit. After this, they can come back to Canada.
Your work permit is issued after 132 days of application. What will you do in the meantime to support yourself financially?
What is Interim Authorization to Work?
Until your work permit arrives, the Canadian government allows you to work immediately if you have an employee-specific job offer.
To obtain this privilege, you have to take the given steps.
- Fill out the IRCC web form and apply for ‘Interim Authorization to Work’.
- The IRCC will contact you within 30 days.
Your whole procedure is complete after you receive the work permit.
We at Apex Visas ensure that you have a safe and secure pathway to Canada. We look at all your needs and circumstances and propose the best plan for your visa.